Well today is December 1st. That means, I can subtract in my head (I know shocking) the days until Christmas. Twenty-four, there's two more paychecks until then. It's all over the news about how Santa may have to lay off some of his Elves. That kids aren't going to get all the presents they ask for. Which makes me look back to my childhood and the things that I remember about Christmas. We would go to my Grandma Grokett's house on Christmas Eve and Santa would be there to pass out little envelopes that would contain some cash. I'd get $5 every year. We'd have a potluck style dinner with my Grandpa's family, they'd be downstair drinking and smoking and we'd be upstairs praying. (ha ha just kidding). We'd watch the news to see where Santa was and Grandpa would tell us every year that Santa wasn't coming because he shot him. We'd go home with a present from our Grandparents and Aunt Aphrodel and we'd get to open it that night. Yep, new jammies. We'd toss and turn all night and have to use the bathroom several times (our bedrooms were downstairs and the only bathroom was upstairs, you'd have to go past the family room to get to it, this was our ploy to see if Santa had come). We'd wake up the next morning run upstairs and tear through all the gifts. Luckily Santa didn't wrap our presents so we'd be able to play as soon as we got upstairs. Afterwards, Mom would make us a HUGE breakfast, then we'd pile into the car and drive to my Grandma's and Aunt's to see what Santa had left them, then we'd get back to our house and have Christmas Dinner together. I don't remember what toys I did or didn't get, or how much was spent on those gifts, I remember being with my family. My Dad would have the day off, so it was all six of us. Those are my memories and I cherish them more than any toy I had wanted.
What do I want for Christmas this year? I want to spend time with my family. I consider myself really lucky that I live so close to most of my family and I will get what I want for Christmas this year. I didn't even have to be a good girl to get it. ;)
Monday, December 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I dont remember anything I got when I was little EXCEPT Barbie dream house. I hope my kids wont be too dissapointed! AHHHH!!!
I got a couple of Cabbage Patch dolls, the year after they were popular. It didn't scar me.
Well now as the big sister I have to say that first off Santa only came to Grandma's house once, the rest of the time it was Grandma passing out the cards with money. We would be upstairs going through the JCPenney and Sears Christmas catalogs to write our letters to Santa. Also when I was 16 was the first year that day actually took Christmas off of work. The rest of the years before he would always work either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day because he got paid more. But I do not remember the presents just the good memories of being with family and watching the step-family getting drunk and being stupid. HEHEHE
Post a Comment